Home / 111 Contact Code

Customers who are considered vulnerable and need to call 111 during a power outage

In November 2020, the Commerce Commission introduced the 111 Contact Code to ensure that vulnerable consumers can reach emergency services in the event of a power outage at their premises. The Code requires retail landline service providers to inform customers about the telecommunications technologies and devices that may not work during a power failure, as well as provide guidance on how they can protect themselves and where to seek support.

Which Services are Affected?
Fibre and fixed wireless services will not function during a power failure unless you have a backup power supply. Consequently, if your landline is provided over these technologies, you will not be able to use it to contact the 111 emergency service during a power cut. Additionally, certain devices at your premises, such as cordless phones and medical alarms without an inbuilt battery, may also not work without a backup power supply, preventing you from contacting the 111 emergency service during a power outage.

To ensure you have a reliable means of contacting the 111 emergency service during a power failure at your premises, we recommend keeping a charged mobile phone on hand.

Please Note:
The 111 Code does not cover any medical services and/or alarms, such as those provided by St John. If you have any concerns about the reliability of these services, please contact your service provider directly.

Who Qualifies as a Vulnerable Consumer?
As defined by the Code, a vulnerable consumer is someone who is at particular risk of requiring the 111 emergency service and does not have a means of contacting the service that can be operated for the minimum period during a power failure.

How to Get Listed as a Vulnerable Consumer with Kiwi VoIP?
If someone at your premises relies on your landline connection for medical, safety, or disability reasons, you can apply to be listed as a vulnerable consumer with Kiwi VoIP. Simply email us at or log a support ticket on the Kiwi VoIP web portal. Once approved, we will provide you with an appropriate means of contacting the 111 emergency service during power outages at no cost.

We want to assure you that we will not deny or cease the supply of a retail landline service on the basis that we know or suspect a consumer is, or may become, a vulnerable consumer.

If you have any concerns about the information provided or wish to file a complaint regarding this process, please reach out to us at or contact us here.

In the unlikely event that you remain dissatisfied with the resolution of your case, you can refer your complaint to the Telecommunications Dispute Resolution Scheme (TDR). TDR offers a free and independent service for residential and small business customers, engaging with Kiwi VoIP to find a resolution on your behalf. You can raise a dispute with the TDR for yourself or another member of the same residential household.

If you believe that Kiwi VoIP is failing to fulfil its obligations under the 111 Contact Code actively, you can contact the Commerce Commission directly at Please be aware that their primary course of action will likely be to refer the matter to the TDR for resolution.